Archive for April, 2010

Software Distribution: Software Not Being Installed

23 Apr

I experienced an issue with Software Distribution. My client workstation was receiving partial peices of  the software to be installed, but no dice. Software package was received, but no failures, no programs started, no program errors, and no program success.  ConfigMgr admin console shows the software advertisement was definitely received. Below are the steps needed and the information to what you need to do to get IIS to approve the files needed to installed.  

ConfigMgr Status Shows Advertisement Created

A Software Distribution package was created and advertised. The client receives the command to download the software and install as needed. Here is where the issue starts. From the ConfigMgr admin console, site status shows the package was created and advertised as needed (Fig 1).  

Fig. 1

Client Shows Activity

After a few mintues I notice two things happening on the client that tells me there is activity going on. One was I can see the msiexec.exe process actively running from Task Manager. The other thing I noticed was the performance monitor showing activity. (Fig. 2)   

Fig. 2

Fig. 2

Advertisement Status Shows Received 

From this point all looks fine and dandy so I wanted to wait a few minutes to ensure I gave enough time for the application to install. I check the client and there is no sign of  the app being installed. However, ConfigMgr admin console claims the advertisement has been received with no failures, no programs started, no program errors, and no program success.  (Fig. 3)  

Advertisement Status

Fig. 3

IIS: Invalid Namespace Directory

I hopped on over to the ConfigMgr Software Distribution TechNet forums and dicovered someone who had the same issue. Turns out, IIS was blocking file extensions needed to allow the software distribution to complete. Here is a view of the log file reviewed from the DistributionPoint server from the following directory \\server_here\c$\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\. (Fig. 4)  

Fig. 4

Modify ApplicationHost.Config File

From this IIS log file, we were able to determine the ending part of the troublesome line shows a 404 8 which is another way of saying the following directory contains an invalid name space (source:  The directory in detail is the  ../Program+Files/SMS/PCW/I86/24000041/bin/FarPoint.Win.Spread.dll. From the ConfigMgr server, navigate to c:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config  and open the applicationHost.config file with any text editor (In my case I used Notepad). Navigate to the following section name <requestFiltering>. From this part you must remove the element blocking your directory path. In my case, it was simply removing the <add segment=”bin” /> element (Fig. 5)  

Fig. 5

Your final steps are complete. Now just delete the advertisement and re-create it. Give it a few minutes and you should now see the activity running on the client again and within  a few minutes, you should have your application installed.